Carnival Night Casinopolis Chao Garden (Station Square) Chemical Plant Collision Chaos Crystal Egg Diamond Dust Eggmanland End of the World Final Egg Flying Battery Great Turquoise Hidden Palace Hot Shelter Ice Cap (Sonic 3) Labyrinth Launch Base Lesser Burgundy (which I suspect is Tom being daft rather than an actual level name but you can never be sure with Sonic) Lost Labyrinth Machine Labyrinth Mad Gear Marble Garden Metallic Madness Metropolis Palmtree Panic Panic Puppet Power Plant Quartz Quadrant Radiant Emerald Radical City Radical Train Reactive Factory Red Mountain Regal Ruin Resort Island Spagonia Special Stage (Sonic 1) Special Stage (Sonic 4) Speed Highway Splash Hill Stardust Speedway Tidal Tempest Toy Kingdom Turquoise Hill Twinkle Park Underground Wacky Workbench X-Zone
1) Welcome to the Italian Crystal Maze! -- An obscure one, this. The Italian-language bit in the MD manual for Sonic 3D refers to this zone as "Zona Industriale" (lit. Industrial Zone) for some reason.
2) The artist was on vacation that week. -- The background is just black. Nothing there, no extra scenery like in the other acts.
3) Screw this, we're outta here. -- Tails and Knuckles are no longer loitering around for special stage warpage from this zone onwards.
4) More useful than ever. -- The blue "ordinary" shield finally gains an extra use as semi-permanent electricity protection.
5) A cuddly toy! -- The boss stage takes place on a conveyor belt. The Generation Game had a conveyor belt for its final round, also.
6) Robotnik has a fanbase? -- Well, it is a base, and there are, indeed, a lot of fans.
7) You're MAD, Doctor! -- A reference to the villain from the Inspector Gadget series, hinting towards the Zone title.
Now you go. Please do.
There are three things I try to live by:
1) Never tell a bride the day before her wedding day that "there is a problem"
2) Nothing good happens after 2AM - just go to bed.
1) In the dark, dark street there was a dark, dark house. - As Nam points out, this is a Funnybones reference. The level has a skeleton chappy who occasionally appears to indicate which direction to go in: he reminds me of the Funnybones guys.
2) Orcses come here, sometimes. - In the Team Chaotix mission, there's a bit with a giant spider web. My mind went "giant spider = either Shelob off Lord of the Rings or Aragog off Harry Potter". I decided to go with Shelob and provided a quote from the movies, when Gollum lures Frodo into Shelob's lair.
3) I'd prefer a hot Kenyan with a mohican, to be honest with you. - The "boss" (if you can call it that) at the end of the level is a fight against a ton of robots, called Robot Storm. Storm of X-Men fame is a hot Kenyan, who had a mohican at one point (the late '70s/early '80s? Not sure). Basically I'd much rather encounter her than the robots.